Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Game Related > Jockstocks Today
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

Unread 28 Oct 2011, 05:17 PM
All Pro

I actually liked the shortened season...made the games more significant and more interesting.

14x Monthly Competition Winner: 2023 Sep, 2021 Aug/Jul/May, 2017 Feb/Jan, 2016 Feb/Jan, 2015 Dec/Nov/Jan, 2014 Mar/Jan, 2013 Jul
7x Quarterly Competition Winner: 2021Q3, 2017Q1, 2016Q1, 2015Q3/Q1, 2014Q1, 2013Q3
5x Yearly Competition Winner: 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2011
8x PGA Competition Winner: 2020 (1st half), 2017 (1st half) 2016 (1st & 2nd half), 2015 (1st & 2nd half), 2011 (1st & 2nd half)
1x NASCAR Competition Winner: 2021 (2nd half)

*** All-time Yearly Portfolio Value Record: $58.5 billion (2015); $57.8B (2017); $57.7B (2016) ***

Unread 02 Nov 2011, 04:31 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

The NBAPA hasn't learned many lessons from other sports strikes/lockouts...

Story here.

The longer the lockout the more the members of the union will clamor for a resolution and become dissatisfied with their "leaders" direction (greed). Like the NFL, the players have their most bargaining power before the season starts...once games are lost and players aren't getting paid, they begin to bend more easily.
Unread 02 Nov 2011, 06:52 PM
Got Xbox One?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayOw View Post
The NBAPA hasn't learned many lessons from other sports strikes/lockouts...

Story here.

The longer the lockout the more the members of the union will clamor for a resolution and become dissatisfied with their "leaders" direction (greed). Like the NFL, the players have their most bargaining power before the season starts...once games are lost and players aren't getting paid, they begin to bend more easily.
I wonder the percentage of players that really need that weekly paycheck. I'm sure many of them could sit out the entire year and never even think about the money.
Unread 02 Nov 2011, 07:02 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDiamond View Post
I wonder the percentage of players that really need that weekly paycheck. I'm sure many of them could sit out the entire year and never even think about the money.
"many could sit out the entire year"? I would bet not that many... sure, the superstars are going to have no problems but the mid and lower tiered paid players might begin to struggle.

Not to stereotype, but there are many NBA players that like to uphold an "appearance" when in public...which includes expensive cars and a large entourage or, as it is known in some circles, a "posse". And that ain't cheap...

Of course, if these players had sound financial investments, none of them would have to worry...
Unread 02 Nov 2011, 08:14 PM

do not forget about the "bling"
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 02 Nov 2011, 08:16 PM
All Pro

Many players spend it just as quick as they make it.

http://www.mcdivots.org

or join my McDivots Facebook Group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/229569963765319/
Unread 03 Nov 2011, 09:17 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich76 View Post
do not forget about the "bling"
And the "rain"...
Unread 03 Nov 2011, 11:12 AM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

and the child support

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?
Unread 03 Nov 2011, 11:34 AM
Keep Calm Chive On

....legal retainers/defense attorneys.
"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." (Albert Einstein)
Unread 03 Nov 2011, 06:01 PM
5th Round Draft Pick

i had something interesting happen while i was at work yesterday.I live in the phoenix area and i work at a grocery store there.any way yesterday I was working and Steve Nash came in to the store with i believe it was his two little girls.any way i said hi and asked if he thought they would be playing anytime soon he said no but the part that i,pressed me was he spent the next twenty minutes talking to me explaining the players side of the strike while i dont agree with whats going on the onwers and players fighting over money and being greedy when i for one am barely making ends meet i told him this he said he understand but explained some things I was not a wear like the 52 percent the players are offering for revenue split is 5.5 percent less the last year.So at 50 percent the onwers are asking then to take 7.5 percent less it is like where i work asking me to work for 7.5 percent less.Any way was just really inpressed that he would take the time to talk to a fan like that was really nice.Im this day and age all you hear is the bad stuff I thought It was nice he did that.Sorry about going on on had Three teeth pulled and a growth removed from my mouth so im a little out of it.Any way just wanted to share that story.
Unread 03 Nov 2011, 07:06 PM
All Pro

Thanks for sharing the story...really neat. I always thought that Steve Nash was one of the "good guys" in the NBA. He seemed to prove that again.

14x Monthly Competition Winner: 2023 Sep, 2021 Aug/Jul/May, 2017 Feb/Jan, 2016 Feb/Jan, 2015 Dec/Nov/Jan, 2014 Mar/Jan, 2013 Jul
7x Quarterly Competition Winner: 2021Q3, 2017Q1, 2016Q1, 2015Q3/Q1, 2014Q1, 2013Q3
5x Yearly Competition Winner: 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2011
8x PGA Competition Winner: 2020 (1st half), 2017 (1st half) 2016 (1st & 2nd half), 2015 (1st & 2nd half), 2011 (1st & 2nd half)
1x NASCAR Competition Winner: 2021 (2nd half)

*** All-time Yearly Portfolio Value Record: $58.5 billion (2015); $57.8B (2017); $57.7B (2016) ***

Unread 04 Nov 2011, 12:38 AM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf

great story! thanks for sharing it...it's not only nice to hear stories about players taking the time to talk to us 'normal folk' but interesting that he'd share that part of things

never apologize for thinking you've rambled...Rambling is my middle name

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?
Unread 04 Nov 2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjam12 View Post
i had something interesting happen while i was at work yesterday.I live in the phoenix area and i work at a grocery store there.any way yesterday I was working and Steve Nash came in to the store with i believe it was his two little girls.any way i said hi and asked if he thought they would be playing anytime soon he said no but the part that i,pressed me was he spent the next twenty minutes talking to me explaining the players side of the strike while i dont agree with whats going on the onwers and players fighting over money and being greedy when i for one am barely making ends meet i told him this he said he understand but explained some things I was not a wear like the 52 percent the players are offering for revenue split is 5.5 percent less the last year.So at 50 percent the onwers are asking then to take 7.5 percent less it is like where i work asking me to work for 7.5 percent less.Any way was just really inpressed that he would take the time to talk to a fan like that was really nice.Im this day and age all you hear is the bad stuff I thought It was nice he did that.Sorry about going on on had Three teeth pulled and a growth removed from my mouth so im a little out of it.Any way just wanted to share that story.
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 08 Nov 2011, 02:59 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
NBA players are facing a Wednesday afternoon deadline to accept the league’s current proposal or face a harsher one that calls for rolling back their salaries, and Commissioner David Stern said Monday “the only rational thing to do is for us to make that deal.”
Story here.
Unread 08 Nov 2011, 07:23 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." (Albert Einstein)