Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Unread 07 Oct 2008, 09:54 PM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork
Default Comments on tonights debate

for the sake of peace I've decided to move my original posts and begin a new thread. which i invite both sides of the political spectrum to offer opinions on tonight's debate.

Obviously I'll go first, mccain should be careful, he really doesn't want folks looking at his record. if they do he's going to be hurting as it clearly shows a story completely different than the persona he's trying like hell to paint

for example, we just heard mr. mccain talk about how he's a champion of the environment. funny when you consider that with regard to the last 21 environment related votes, he failed to cast a single vote.

hardly the mark of an environmental champion

to make fact checking easier i offer these bills

09/27/2008 Consolidated Continuing Appropriations
HR 2638

06/18/2008 Second Farm, Nutrition, and Bioenergy Act of 2007 (Farm Bill)
HR 6124

06/17/2008 Alternative Energy Tax Incentives
HR 6049

06/10/2008 Increasing Taxes on Profits, Rescinding Certain Tax Deductions, and Increasing Tax Incentives for Alternative Energy Programs for Oil Companies
S 3044 NV

06/06/2008 Carbon Emissions Cap and Trade Plan
S Amdt 4825 NV

05/22/2008 Farm, Nutrition, and Bioenergy Act of 2007 (Farm Bill)
HR 2419 NV

05/15/2008 Farm, Nutrition, and Bioenergy Act of 2007 (Farm Bill)
HR 2419 NV

04/10/2008 Housing Bill with Energy Tax Credit Extensions
HR 3221 NV

04/10/2008 Energy Tax Credits Amendment
S Amdt 4419 to S Amdt 4387 to HR 3221 NV

03/13/2008 Amendment on Certain Energy-Related Programs, Including the Development of Oil Shale and Offshore Natural Gas
S Amdt 4207 to S Con Res 70 NV

03/13/2008 Amendment on Certain Energy-Related Programs, Including the Development of Oil and Natural Gas in Coastal Areas Not Covered by a Moratorium
S Amdt 4329 to S Con Res 70 NV

12/18/2007 Inclusion of Consolidated Appropriations
HR 2764

12/14/2007 Farm, Nutrition, and Bioenergy Act of 2007 (Farm Bill)
HR 2419

12/13/2007 Energy Act of 2007
HR 6

12/11/2007 Government Sponsored Farm Insurance Policies
S Amdt 3711

11/08/2007 Water Resources Development Act of 2007
HR 1495

06/21/2007 Energy Act of 2007
HR 6

06/21/2007 Alternative Energy Subsidies
S Amdt 1704

06/14/2007 Offshore Drilling in Virginia
S Amdt 1566

06/14/2007 Clean Energy Achievement Criteria
S Amdt 1538

12/21/2005 Removal of ANWR Provision from HR 2863

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 07 Oct 2008, 10:28 PM
GM

i'll say this much for tonight's debate. at least both candidates actually discussed issues, offered some insights into their plans for the nation, and left out the cutesy, pandering crap for the most part.

it has been far more interesting and refreshing to watch than the vp debate was.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 07 Oct 2008, 10:33 PM
Bleeds Midnight Green

Kudos to whomever suckered Obama into paying $3.80 a gallon in Tennessee for gas today. Having dropped $2.97 in Camden yesterday, it makes me feel almost elite.

It was refreshing for him to spotlight Delaware's shady banking, and loose credit policies, also. Too bad their Senator hasn't done a thing to fix it over the last 35 years. Hmmmmmmmm... WHO could that be?
My Facebook Profile
If you can read this, thank a Teacher. If it is in English, thank a Soldier.
Unread 07 Oct 2008, 10:34 PM
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Shaw View Post
Kudos to whomever suckered Obama into paying $3.80 a gallon in Tennessee for gas today. Having dropped $2.97 in Camden yesterday, it makes me feel almost elite.

It was refreshing for him to spotlight Delaware's shady banking, and loose credit policies, also. Too bad their Senator hasn't done a thing to fix it over the last 35 years. Hmmmmmmmm... WHO could that be?
you need to stop posting your gas prices bill. i'm still paying 3.69 for the "cheap" crap here in SC and even more in Atlanta.

Unread 07 Oct 2008, 10:41 PM
Bleeds Midnight Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by hork View Post
you need to stop posting your gas prices bill. i'm still paying 3.69 for the "cheap" crap here in SC and even more in Atlanta.
I have to admit, every time I see it drop a dime, just knowing I have fresh posting material gives me a small thrill.

Remember, though...it's Camden. Corzine knew what he was doing when he started charging $4 to leave the city.

Fortunately, living in Tacony, I get half off
My Facebook Profile
If you can read this, thank a Teacher. If it is in English, thank a Soldier.
Unread 07 Oct 2008, 10:53 PM
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Shaw View Post
I have to admit, every time I see it drop a dime, just knowing I have fresh posting material gives me a small thrill.

Remember, though...it's Camden. Corzine knew what he was doing when he started charging $4 to leave the city.

Fortunately, living in Tacony, I get half off
well package it up and drive down here. you could sell it for 3.25 a gallon and make a killing

i'm considering starting an exchange program with folks in the northeast. cigarettes for gasoline.

Unread 07 Oct 2008, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

Quote:
Originally Posted by hork View Post
well package it up and drive down here. you could sell it for 3.25 a gallon and make a killing

i'm considering starting an exchange program with folks in the northeast. cigarettes for gasoline.
Broke $3.00 USD in Lawrence on Monday, and broke $3.00 USD here in Salina just today.

Sorry

Nick
Unread 07 Oct 2008, 11:19 PM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

The most annoying parts about tonight's [and any other] was the lack of respect of the 'pre-defined' rules that both canidates agreed on.

Of course, I saw Obama blantantly disrespect them more often than McCain, but I am sure I am biased. At least McCain would answer the question and then offer his retort to Obama about the previous topic.

Nick
Unread 07 Oct 2008, 11:24 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockTrader View Post
Of course, I saw Obama blantantly disrespect them more often than McCain, but I am sure I am biased. At least McCain would answer the question and then offer his retort to Obama about the previous topic.
I am still trying to figure out what Obama's answer was to the last question.
Unread 08 Oct 2008, 12:26 AM
Hall of Famer

Still above pre-Gustav & Ike prices here in Northern Virginia - $3.51 at the Shell station down the road. Was up in Camden, NJ a couple months ago for a concert and was amazed to see gas was a good 30 to 40 cents cheaper than around here - being full service and all. Is NJ the only state where you can't pump your own gas?

It didn't matter what the last question was, both candidates knew their answer would be their closing statement. Actually, both Obama and McCain answered the question in similar fashion - you don't know what the unexpected will be, and that's what you end up spending a lot of your time focusing on, etc.
Unread 08 Oct 2008, 01:05 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockTrader View Post
The most annoying parts about tonight's [and any other] was the lack of respect of the 'pre-defined' rules that both canidates agreed on.
The rules sucked. The "consultants" from both campaigns who played it safe and agreed to have such rule should be fired (no follow up questions...being chastised if you went over a minute???). That was completely boring. With that line of questioning, I thought I was watching a repeat of 2 weeks ago except Brokaw was there instead of Leher. It wasnt a debate as it was much more of a modified press conference.

The only thing I noticed was that on the CNN poll thing at the bottom, any attacks of the candidates on each other saw their ratings plummet, and anytime McCain said "my friends" they would plummet. And both had it rise when they talked about issues and offered different solutions. Somehow I doubt any one involved (the politicians nor the media) will pick up on that hint.

Quinn: It was, kind of...what's that thing, when things turn funny? Moronic?
Jane: I think you mean ironic
Daria: She was right the first time