Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Unread 07 Dec 2010, 08:44 AM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork
Default Wikileaks

Okay so by now we're all familiar with Assange and his troubles. I'm curious how many folks believe that the charges of sexual misconduct are legit? Hard not to view it on some level as a trumped up charge to placate worldwide governments. Of course his website and life story are the stuff of Hollywood thrillers and Dan Brown novels. Wish I had time to write the screenplay.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 07 Dec 2010, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

Honestly, I have not heard much of anything about the sexual misconduct charge. All the news talks about it what he leaked.

Nick
Unread 07 Dec 2010, 09:12 AM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockTrader View Post
Honestly, I have not heard much of anything about the sexual misconduct charge. All the news talks about it what he leaked.

Nick
charges are relatively new. he surrendered to british authorities today and is planning (i think) to fight extradition to sweden (where the charges originate). he claims he did have sex with the two women and it was consensual they of course claim otherwise.

again i don't know if it's true or not. but it sure does have the makings of a great movie. if he's guilty he should hang, but you'll never really be able to cast aside "reasonable" doubt in that case. of course since he's not being charged in the U.S. that (reasonable doubt) might not matter anyways.

as for his leaks, while i would prefer they hadn't occurred, most of them (roughly 99%) hardly endanger anyone's national security (momar and his hot nurses? really how is that a threat to anyone?) so I'm not seeing why he's become public enemy number one. seems to me the military guy who leaked them should be the real target of everyone's ire, of course i've always preferred punishing the real criminals to the imaginary ones but that's neither here nor there.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 07 Dec 2010, 12:55 PM
GM

I want to know how credible the witness is before I make the decision on if the charges against Mr. Assange are legit or not.

Then what are the courts like in Sweden. The court system in other countries can be very different than a court trial here in the U.S..

Sweden has not had the death penalty since the mid 1970's.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 07 Dec 2010, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

Quote:
Originally Posted by hork View Post
charges are relatively new. he surrendered to british authorities today and is planning (i think) to fight extradition to sweden (where the charges originate). he claims he did have sex with the two women and it was consensual they of course claim otherwise.

again i don't know if it's true or not. but it sure does have the makings of a great movie. if he's guilty he should hang, but you'll never really be able to cast aside "reasonable" doubt in that case. of course since he's not being charged in the U.S. that (reasonable doubt) might not matter anyways.

as for his leaks, while i would prefer they hadn't occurred, most of them (roughly 99%) hardly endanger anyone's national security (momar and his hot nurses? really how is that a threat to anyone?) so I'm not seeing why he's become public enemy number one. seems to me the military guy who leaked them should be the real target of everyone's ire, of course i've always preferred punishing the real criminals to the imaginary ones but that's neither here nor there.
It becomes a he said, they [she said] thing, eh? Is the claim the he assaulted both of them at the same time, or in different instances?

Nick