Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Game Related > Jockstocks Today
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

Unread 04 Dec 2016, 07:35 PM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf
Default College Football Playoff- they get it right?

Alabama (1) vs Washington (4)
Clemson (2) vs Ohio State (3)

They get it right?

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?
Unread 04 Dec 2016, 08:21 PM
GM

I know that they got Alabama right they are clearly the #1 team to me.

I just know this particular season if Alabama plays even decently their very stout defense will help get them a win no matter which team they are playing.

Maybe Clemson will be motivated to beat Alabama this time in the championship game because I think the team that came closest to almost beating Alabama this year was Clemson in the championship game in January of this year.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 04 Dec 2016, 09:34 PM
Back on page #1

Wish they had Ohio State at #4, bama vs Ohio state would be a great semi final game. Bama definitely #1, the others are interchangeable at 2,3 or 4.
Unread 04 Dec 2016, 10:26 PM
JSAdmin

my bet is their assumption is that Alabama and Ohio State will win their games and meet for the title....so matching them in round 1 would make the natty anticlimactic..or, at worst, if Clemson wins they have a rematch from last year

But my question has less to do with order than the actual teams........a couple of years ago, TCU had been #3 in their rankings...then the final once happened and they dropped TCU to #6...not because they lost, but because the Big 12 didn't have a conference championship.

This year, Penn State prevents Ohio State from playing for the Big 10 championship yet somehow they say winning your conference championship isn't required. So now, for the 2nd time in recent history, a team will have a chance to win the national championship that did not even win their conference championship.

It would be like a wild card in the NFL making the playoffs over a team that won their division...even tho they lost to that team during the year.

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Unread 04 Dec 2016, 11:38 PM
Hall of Famer

Yeah Penn State got hosed, after starting 2-2 and winning out and winning the championship, overcoming the scandal bs, a great story.

all the talking heads said OSU had a better resume so I guess that's why...

If the playoff went to 8 teams and we got rid of 4 ridiculous bowl games,
but it's all about those $$$$
Unread 04 Dec 2016, 11:52 PM
Back on page #1

An 8 team bracket would be best. This year would look like:

Alabama vs Wisconson (or USC)
Ohio State vs Oklahoma
Clemson vs Michigan
Washington vs Penn State

A bit heavy on the Big 10 representation, ergo the USC caveat.
Unread 05 Dec 2016, 09:17 AM
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrock33 View Post
Yeah Penn State got hosed, after starting 2-2 and winning out and winning the championship, overcoming the scandal bs, a great story.

all the talking heads said OSU had a better resume so I guess that's why...

If the playoff went to 8 teams and we got rid of 4 ridiculous bowl games,
but it's all about those $$$$
On the plus side a decent chance in the Rose Bowl vs being dominated by Alabama not so bad.
Unread 05 Dec 2016, 10:21 PM
JSAdmin

In every sport (including some in college) if you win your division/conference, you earn a slot in the postseason. If you don't, you're at the mercy of whether there's a wild card spot there for you.

An 8 team playoff would be so simple. There are 5 so-called power conferences. Win a power 5 championship and you're in. That leaves 3 'wild card' spots. Guarantee at least one comes from a non-power 5 conference or the Western Michigans of the world will NEVER have a shot. After all, in college basketball, the odds may be long, but at least they have a shot.

Obviously, one can build a case for Ohio State over Penn State. Better record, more impressive wins, better OOC schedule. But the same thing sticks in my head now as it did a few years back with Alabama.......

Why should you have a chance to win the national championship if you couldn't even win your own conference? At least, not without the team who DID win your conference also having their shot.

Unread 05 Dec 2016, 11:32 PM
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
In every sport (including some in college) if you win your division/conference, you earn a slot in the postseason. If you don't, you're at the mercy of whether there's a wild card spot there for you.

An 8 team playoff would be so simple. There are 5 so-called power conferences. Win a power 5 championship and you're in. That leaves 3 'wild card' spots. Guarantee at least one comes from a non-power 5 conference or the Western Michigans of the world will NEVER have a shot. After all, in college basketball, the odds may be long, but at least they have a shot.

Obviously, one can build a case for Ohio State over Penn State. Better record, more impressive wins, better OOC schedule. But the same thing sticks in my head now as it did a few years back with Alabama.......

Why should you have a chance to win the national championship if you couldn't even win your own conference? At least, not without the team who DID win your conference also having their shot.
In this plan I think the conference should pick one team to go, not necessarily the "conference champ". Conference championship games were devised for the payday. Three way tie in Big Ten sent PSU to championship but if they were only tied with OSU, OSU would have went. Not enough games in football to handle tie breakers well.

But I agree if you aren't the best in your conference why should you get in. So only one team per conference. This also would prevent a conference by jacking the system with aa suspect championship game or championship game outcome.

It blows my mind in basketball that a terrible regular season team from a conference wins their post season tourney and knocks out a different conference team. They should knock out a team from their conference.
Unread 10 Jan 2017, 05:16 PM
GM

What I got right in early December over a month ago.

Clemson would be motivated in the championship to beat Alabama in the rematch.

What I got wrong.

The Alabama defense, well their offense as well really let them down.

Some "experts" reasons why Alabama lost last night.
The Alabama defense had to play 99 plays which is a bunch of plays to me. This led to the Alabama defense was not itself at the end. No way I would get to see the end when it ended about Midnight on the East coast.

The Alabama offense could not sustain very many drives this would have had to been after I stopped watching early in the second quarter when Alabama went up 14-0. The Alabama offense was 2-15 on 3rd down.

The Alabama running back Bo Scarbrough broke a bone in his leg. He almost looked unstoppable in the first half. The Alabama offense was pretty conservative in the second half. Clemson had more plays in the fourth quarter than Alabama had in the second half of the game.

Let us get to the Clemson team motivation to win this game even though some media members went out of the way that was not a factor because they barely talked about it while I watching.

Recent Rematch history well the Royals are a special case they did not have a rematch but they did win the second world series after playing in two in a row.

Lebron won his rematch with the Warriors. But Irving and Love were not much of a factor in the first series of games in 2015 because of injuries.

But my favorite revenge series rematch was in 2008 and 2009 stanley cup finals when the Penguins won their third stanley cup on June 12, 2009 against the Detroit Red Wings.

Let me put it this way a team may have some motivation after they lost a championship the previous year especially when it is the same team.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.

Reason: Had to give another reason why the media thought Alabama lost the game