Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Game Related > Jockstocks Today
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

Unread 17 Feb 2011, 12:52 AM
JSAdmin

Send a message via Skype™ to SiteWolf
Default NASCAR qualifying question

OK....we have a potential issue here...

It's no secret that Dale Earnhardt, Jr. qualified for the pole a few days ago....spoonfeeding tho this comment may be.

But Junior wrecked his car and will be starting at the back of the field now.

THIS time we know this in advance, but that won't usually be the case....drivers wrecking their cars or even being penalized quite often will do so...after we've already given qualifying divis.

Would I not be correct in still treating Junior as having won the pole?
For race results I've always used the unofficial results page nascar.com puts out soon after the race finishes
I plan to grab from their lineup page for qualifying divis once I start the new qualifying divi setup....is this going to be an issue?

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
I'm pretty confident my last words will be 'well crap, that didn't work'.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Nachos are just tacos that don't have their s_it together.
I'm not adding this year to my age because I really didn't use it.
Ever notice that extra fries and exercise sound a lot alike?
Unread 17 Feb 2011, 07:00 AM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

Seems to me better to be consistent. I'd vote for treating this race's qualifying as you would every other, and give him credit for his front row qualifying spot.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 17 Feb 2011, 08:26 AM
JSAdmin

that's my thought.....were this any other race, we wouldn't find out (or he wouldn't have a chance to wreck so that) he'd been moved to the back before qualifying divis are released..............after all, we're giving divis for where they qualify, not where they start

Don't piss off old people- the older we get, the less life in prison is a deterrent.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, I think I miss my metabolism most of all.
Unread 17 Feb 2011, 10:01 AM
GM

So will this be a not an issue after this week. In other words drivers will not be going to the back of the field because of crashes. Just trying to understand this a little. To be honest I can only think of one reason why a driver would be put in the back of the field and that is when they have engine trouble. For all I know there could be other reasons to put drivers at the back of the field as well.

I am thinking this is a pretty unique situation that will not often happen. But when it does happen. At least with regards to qualifying divis are we just going to leave things alone with this type of situation. In other words if something happens like with Dale Jr. we will not be having another divi for this type of situation where he goes from qualifying first to wherever he ended up in the back of the field. I vote we just leave things alone it will just be easier for everyone.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 17 Feb 2011, 10:10 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

It actually happens quite frequently, but not always with pole sitters.

What happens, is after qualifying there are still practice sessions drivers can use to fine tune their car. If they blow an engine or wreck their car in one of these post-qualifying practice sessions, they then must forfeit their qualifying position and start at the rear of the pack because they will be using a different car/engine that they qualified with...now using their "backup car".
Unread 17 Feb 2011, 11:39 AM
GM

Thank you SayOw.

I did not even really remember that they had practice sessions prior to the race.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 17 Feb 2011, 12:30 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

There are 3 practice sessions scheduled for AFTER the Twin-125's tonight ...

Friday, February 18th

11:00 a.m. - Sprint Cup Series Practice - SPEED Channel
12:30 p.m. - Sprint Cup Series Practice - SPEED Channel

Saturday, February 19th

10:30 a.m. - Sprint Cup Series Happy Hour (Final Practice) - SPEED Channel
Unread 17 Feb 2011, 12:58 PM
7th Round Draft Pick

Jr. still gets the Coors/Bud/Winston/Pizza Hut/Taco Bell/Mobil 1 Pole award right? It's the position he qualified in.
Unread 17 Feb 2011, 04:17 PM
JSAdmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntwins4lifeheysmacknuts View Post
Jr. still gets the Coors/Bud/Winston/Pizza Hut/Taco Bell/Mobil 1 Pole award right? It's the position he qualified in.
if, in all that, you're asking if Junior got the pole........yes

Unread 17 Feb 2011, 05:27 PM
Coach

Yeah Junior in all intensive purposes IS the POLE winner and as far as DIVI concerned is the POLE sitter. But at the warm up to the 500 he will be sent to the end of the lead lap. He WILL start the race at the front but when they START he will be in the back. Does this make sense?
Unread 17 Feb 2011, 06:02 PM
Coach

FYI Gordon will also most likely move to the rear when they begin warm up laps due to extensive damage at the end of his duel today.
Unread 17 Feb 2011, 07:13 PM
JSAdmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyB911 View Post
Yeah Junior in all intensive purposes IS the POLE winner and as far as DIVI concerned is the POLE sitter. But at the warm up to the 500 he will be sent to the end of the lead lap. He WILL start the race at the front but when they START he will be in the back. Does this make sense?
he'll run warmup laps in the front, he'll start the race in the back
he qualified for the pole, he'll start in the back

Unread 17 Feb 2011, 10:08 PM
Hall of Famer

yes divi is based on qualifying not what happens after to change the starting order

so I ask the question,...

how does this type of thing affect +/- after the race?

if jr starts last and wins is it +43 or zero since his "original starting position" was pole???
Unread 17 Feb 2011, 10:41 PM
JSAdmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrock33 View Post
yes divi is based on qualifying not what happens after to change the starting order

so I ask the question,...

how does this type of thing affect +/- after the race?

if jr starts last and wins is it +43 or zero since his "original starting position" was pole???
from what I know...or from what I've seen....drivers are listed on the results page following a race....with a starting position equal to their qualifying position.............and the results page after a race is what I grab to put stats in....

I took a look for an example...I ran into Tony Stewart winning the pole in August 2009 and wrecking in practice....on the results page for that race he shows with a starting position of 1 despite starting at the back of the field.

Unread 17 Feb 2011, 11:23 PM
Hall of Famer

Thank you for clearing that up. I get how stats are grabbed so we'll go with that. Still curious about the + and - 200 shown for
projections seems extreme but it is what it is.