Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Unread 03 Aug 2011, 02:42 PM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork
Default Yet another example of California's "finest"

What will it take until police officers start to be held accountable to the same laws everyone else (other than politicians) are? This is sickening to say the least and sadly becoming routine with our nation's urban law enforcement agencies,

Fullerton thugs kill homeless man then hide behind their badge

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 03 Aug 2011, 04:15 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

Sadly, justice in this country is only for the wealthy...

Cops no longer fear punishment for any of their actions...what's the worst that is going to happen to them? They get suspended without pay?

A code of "honor" that protects the bad cops within their ranks along with the criminalization of most everyone in this country leaves the police to do, essentially, whatever they want to without warrants or any justification. After the cops get away with their brutality it is all swept aside and covered up with "procedural process" as rationale for the action....nothing to see here, please move along...and the next day it is just business as usual.
Unread 03 Aug 2011, 05:38 PM
GM

which is what i don't understand. surely not every law enforcement officer is a jackass who thrives on the power their badge bestows (remind me of the kids in high school who were bullied and now taking it out on the world) so why don't the good ones take some pride in their profession and hold these jackasses accountable rather than covering up for them and hiding them behind their appalling thin blue line?

until they do, they really can't complain about how the majority of the public views police officers and they have to shoulder some of the blame themselves (even the good ones) for allowing it to continue without action.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 03 Aug 2011, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

Well, we're also looking at it on a finite level. I'm not justifying police brutality, but just because a news outlet picks it up it doesn't make it news.

There are good and bad people in every profession. To lump the few bad ones in with the good ones seems poetically unjust; are all baseball players 'roiders?

Nick
Unread 03 Aug 2011, 06:29 PM
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockTrader View Post

There are good and bad people in every profession. To lump the few bad ones in with the good ones seems poetically unjust;
i agree entirely nick. i just don't understand why the good ones stand idly by when things like this happen instead of screaming and rallying for the justice they've sworn to uphold and enforce (which in the end would make their job a lot easier or at least get more folks to cooperate as they might be seen as legit and honest).

their passive actions make it easy to understand and sympathize with folks who do lump them all together. and until they act accordingly the public perception isn't likely to change.

Unread 03 Aug 2011, 11:06 PM
Administrator

I agree they shouldn't sit passively. I also agree that police departments shouldn't be covering things up.

What is the solution though? Where do we start with the corruption and how do we enact a policy that can be followed through?

It seems to me that most of the stuff we hear about are in places where there is a high propensity for violence. I can only imagine the stress that some of these officers go through. Some of the vileness that happens to them. Perhaps the answer is better mental health screening?

I dunno ... maybe I just like arguing too much.

Nick
Unread 03 Aug 2011, 11:10 PM

http://www.frankserpico.com/
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 03 Aug 2011, 11:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich76 View Post
What an ugly site

Nick
Unread 03 Aug 2011, 11:54 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw

Quote:
I agree they shouldn't sit passively. I also agree that police departments shouldn't be covering things up.

What is the solution though? Where do we start with the corruption and how do we enact a policy that can be followed through?

It seems to me that most of the stuff we hear about are in places where there is a high propensity for violence. I can only imagine the stress that some of these officers go through. Some of the vileness that happens to them. Perhaps the answer is better mental health screening?

I dunno ... maybe I just like arguing too much.

Nick
Is this for real?

You don't watch any of the videos or read any of the first hand accounts?

Police - who are sworn to protect the serve the public - are undoubtedly seen beating and abusing their power on innocent people... repeatedly and not just in the areas you get video from or from the areas where your "statistical data" prove "police intervention" seems justified...

It is happening everywhere...

Where do we start with corruption? Where do we enact policy? Give me a break...

Forgive my rudeness...but it is that rationale that has led us to this complacency among folks with your thought...

Americans, at one time, would not allow the intrusion upon their civil liberties that we see routinely trampled upon today and I submit this exhibit right here...

Where you try to seek some sort of complacent answer to allow the unquestioned abuse of "authority" in this country that has been going on for decades by the police forces in many communities or just flat out dismiss it as general collateral damage that is inconsequential or not correctable is just trying to ignore what is obvious.

Your post only proves what I have felt about much of the population of America today...
Unread 04 Aug 2011, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Actually, it is for real. If all of the cops are corrupt, as you would like to suggest, what is the answer? Who do we go after to fix the issue?

Nick
Unread 05 Aug 2011, 09:12 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Actually, it is for real. If all of the cops are corrupt, as you would like to suggest, what is the answer? Who do we go after to fix the issue?

Nick
I don't think all cops are corrupt, and mostly likely it is just a few. But, I do think most cops enjoy beating on people and think it is often times "justified" for extremely petty reasons, ie: loitering, is that really something a cop needs to beat a person down for? Yet it happens.

Who do we go after to fix the issue? Look in the mirror.
Unread 05 Aug 2011, 02:21 PM
Hall of Famer

And to follow-up on how widespread the corruptness in a police force there could be...

You can take a look at Katrina and while 5 officers were tried and found guilty of covering up their killing of a person, but not of murder. There are "A total of 20 current or former New Orleans police officers were charged last year in a series of federal probes. Most of the cases center on actions during the aftermath of the Aug. 29, 2005, storm, which plunged the flooded city into a state of lawlessness and desperation."

When the times call for police to step up and perform their duty to serve and protect the citizens they have been sworn to do, it seems, that most choose to break the laws rather than uphold them if it works in their favor. And in this case, not just one or two bad cops...20 got caught, how many do you think are just as guilty but didn't get caught? Maybe just as many...

(Story with officer trial and quote taken from is here.)

Unread 05 Aug 2011, 05:43 PM
Coach

So I was just doing a quick perusal among some blogs, and found an interesting post on this subject. Via a liberal blog, one possible/plausible reason for the police brutality we've seen is the same reason why Mark McGwire might not make it to the Hall of Fame:

Link

Quinn: It was, kind of...what's that thing, when things turn funny? Moronic?
Jane: I think you mean ironic
Daria: She was right the first time