Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Game Related > Jockstocks Today
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

Unread 09 Feb 2012, 09:51 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via ICQ to SayOw Send a message via MSN to SayOw Send a message via Yahoo to SayOw
Default Coming Soon: North Dakota vs The NCAA

Not sure how much interest there is in this...

But people of the state of North Dakota are preparing to use their entire resources to sue the NCAA over the use of the Fighting Sioux nickname and I think it will be a grand waste of money but will reveal the absurdities of the NCAA...if they do indeed want to dance in court over this.

Here's the (I'll try and keep it as brief as possible) short version:

NCAA comes out and says any schools using indian names or mascots must get permission from the tribes that they represent to do so or cease using the names. The University of North Dakota (UND) Fighting Sioux got permission from one tribe in ND but the other tribe cares so little about the name, hasn't even bothered to vote on it...citing bigger concerns then the use of their name. NCAA gives UND until the end of this year to stop using the name or else UND is banned from any post season tournaments in all sports. UND also just transitioned from Division II to I-AA and is a new member in the Big Sky conference, who had admitted UND under the impression that the nickname dispute had been resolved. UND had begun to stop using the Fighting Sioux nickname but in the meantime, a ND lawmaker introduced a bill, which passed, that stated UND must and will retain the Fighting Sioux nickname and any entity sanctioning or penalizing the school in any capacity shall be subsequently sued. The bill was then withdrawn after a futile meeting with the NCAA. So people of ND began a petition drive to put the measure on the ballot which they have since filed and got on the ballot. IF it passes, then the State of North Dakota will be delivering a nice juicy law suit to the NCAA...

And I don't know how much the NCAA wants to sink into this fight, but they better be taking note at how much resolve the people of North Dakota want the name to remain.

I am already on pins and needles in anticipation that we get to go to court...the hypocrisy of the NCAA is so incredible, though, I would find it hard to believe that the NCAA would want to go to court, but they just might be smug enough to think their sh!t don't stink and then its game on!

But the truth is, the vote in June is going to be HUGE. Nickname supporters have a ton of money thanks to the late Ralph Engelstad and I think the vote has at least a 50/50 shot of passing...I know I will be voting to keep it just so I can continue to enjoy this never-ending battle over essentially nothing.

Here is the court filing from the State of North Dakota vs NCAA.