Market
Market2
Leaders
Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Non Sports Related > Current Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Current Events A place for serious discussion of news and events from the world around us.

Unread 18 Feb 2008, 07:22 PM
Coach

Default OT-Politcal meaning? Bi-partisan? Conservative or Liberal? Left or Right?

Hork I guess you are our political attache' so I will ask you or whomever.

I have no clue what I am. I believe in the Death penalty and abortion although I think both are sick but necessary in certain circumstances. I believe in lower taxes and affordable healthcare. I believe more money should be spent on education than military. More funds on technology than spent on government parties. I think Hillary is an idiot. I love McCain. I don't think Jesus has anything to do with running the country but I think our kids need more Jesus and less Myspace. I believe the national anthem should only be played in that nation except during medal ceremonies in the Olympics. I believe church should be on Saturday or 6am Sunday morning as not to interfere with sports most notably the NFL.

So my question is what the hell am I? I have no idea what Liberal or Conservative means. Left or Right is another mystery. I know I am putting myself out there for ridicule cuz I didn't finish my degree and instead joined the Corp. I just don't get all this bi-partisan or party line talk. I do know it is STUPID to vote for a candidate just because he is your party affiliate. As well as Congress acting a fool in hearing where Republicans were pro-Clemens and Democrats were anti-Clemens.

Any help with the terminology is appreciated.
Unread 18 Feb 2008, 07:54 PM
Antagonist.

You make no sense.
Unread 18 Feb 2008, 07:54 PM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

i can't tell you how to identify.

but the key to your entire post is this

Quote:
I do know it is STUPID to vote for a candidate just because he is your party affiliate

my suggestion to any voter is, don't worry about labels. know what is important to you and see who has the position that best aligns itself with your own (even if it's the wrong <read as conservative> side... ).

but if you're truly interested in knowing which label best fits you, take this brief (and admittedly general) quiz or if you're pressed for time try this one

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 18 Feb 2008, 10:24 PM
Coach

Great I did the short one and got a category I didnt know existed/ Centrist? Thx for trying Hork. I never understood the left-right thing. Parrot?? Why do u respond if you add nothing positive?
Unread 18 Feb 2008, 10:29 PM
Antagonist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyB911 View Post
I believe in affordable healthcare. I believe more money should be spent on education than military. I think Hillary is an idiot. I love McCain.
You have your candidate choices somewhat backwards.
Unread 18 Feb 2008, 10:31 PM
Coach

Ok I did the longer one. I got 17 points so I guess I am more liberal. LMAO I said graphic ----ography should be censored. I looked behind me like who just typed that.
Unread 18 Feb 2008, 10:34 PM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotheadduff View Post
U may be right. Just I don't trust Hillary. Seems like she says whatever we want to hear but I don't believe her to follow through. She can't keep her house in order how can she run the country. She is always crying right before polls. I actually like Obama. But to me McCain is honest and I trust he will do what is best for this United States.
Unread 18 Feb 2008, 10:36 PM
Antagonist.

Quote:
U may be right. Just I don't trust Hillary. Seems like she says whatever we want to hear but I don't believe her to follow through. She can't keep her house in order how can she run the country. She is always crying right before polls. I actually like Obama. But to me McCain is honest and I trust he will do what is best for this United States.
Then it doesn't really matter what you're labeled as. Vote with your head and your conscience.
Unread 18 Feb 2008, 10:55 PM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

Quote:
that's exactly the thought that came into my head when i read the post you're referring to.

pro education/health care, against continued deficits and status quo and then a rebuking of Clinton and an affirmation of mccain?

i was a bit confused myself but it would be both immoral and a tad presumptuous for me to tell anyone who to vote for. hence my attempt to encourage folks to find out who's who in the political arena.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 19 Feb 2008, 12:10 AM
GM

Bi partisan just means that both of the major parties which are democrats and republicans are working towards a common goal whatever it may be.

I guess the best example of being bipartisan in the last year was making federal money available to rebuild the bridge in Minnesota.

Now I am going to break down most of what you said in the first post but I must point out something first.

Conservatives tend to lean towards the right of the political spectrum.
So that means that liberals tend to lean towards the left of the political spectrum.

I said leans because in the first post there are both conservative and liberal ideas and there are very few people that are 100% conservative or liberal.

The death penalty is usually a pretty conservative idea.
Abortion is usually a pretty liberal idea.
Lower taxes is usually a pretty conservative idea.
Affordable health care is usually a pretty liberal idea.
More money being spent on education than the military is a pretty liberal idea.

One other thing must be pointed out to be clear though. A conservative can have ideas that are pretty liberal and vice versa. For me the ones that I just mentioned I would be conservative on all of them and I will not bend on any of them but I do have ideas that liberals would like but I don't usually talk about them especially around here.

The most important thing to remember though as hork said any voter should find the candidate that they agree with most on the issues that are most important to that voter no matter what issues they are.

So the question becomes what issues matter to you most?

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 19 Feb 2008, 04:52 AM
GO STEELERS!

Quote:
Hork I guess you are our political attache' so I will ask you or whomever.

I have no clue what I am. I believe in the Death penalty and abortion although I think both are sick but necessary in certain circumstances. I believe in lower taxes and affordable healthcare. I believe more money should be spent on education than military. More funds on technology than spent on government parties. I think Hillary is an idiot. I love McCain. I don't think Jesus has anything to do with running the country but I think our kids need more Jesus and less Myspace. I believe the national anthem should only be played in that nation except during medal ceremonies in the Olympics. I believe church should be on Saturday or 6am Sunday morning as not to interfere with sports most notably the NFL.

So my question is what the hell am I? I have no idea what Liberal or Conservative means. Left or Right is another mystery. I know I am putting myself out there for ridicule cuz I didn't finish my degree and instead joined the Corp. I just don't get all this bi-partisan or party line talk. I do know it is STUPID to vote for a candidate just because he is your party affiliate. As well as Congress acting a fool in hearing where Republicans were pro-Clemens and Democrats were anti-Clemens.

Any help with the terminology is appreciated.

Okay, I'm a political science student, let me see if I can put it in Lehman's terms.

If you're a conservative you're likely to want to keep the current government, and you want equal/more government involvement in your life, and you're more likely to be a Republican. (Most veterans and religious folk are conservative)

If you're liberal, you're more likely to want change, and want less government involvement in your life. If you're liberal, you're more likely to be a democrat. (Most are minorities and poor people)

However, you can differ on certain issues. For example:

I'm socially liberal, and economically conservative.

I think the government should butt out of my life and not tell me what I can and can't do (ex. freedom rights, freedom of speech, wiretapping, etc.) But on the other hand they should regulate businesses (and corporate America to limit the one-sided nature of this "rich" country).

If you're a leftist, you're more likely to be on the liberal side, if you're a right winger, you're more likely to be on the conservative side.

I know it's kind of confusing, but I hope I helped.
Unread 19 Feb 2008, 05:14 AM
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hork View Post
that's exactly the thought that came into my head when i read the post you're referring to.

pro education/health care, against continued deficits and status quo and then a rebuking of Clinton and an affirmation of mccain?

i was a bit confused myself but it would be both immoral and a tad presumptuous for me to tell anyone who to vote for. hence my attempt to encourage folks to find out who's who in the political arena.
You know Hork IMO it does matter. Why else do we come to these forums? To learn from each other, get better at the game and life. We are a community that is quick to lend a helping hand but there is that ugly side that gets drunk and beats their neighbor up for mispelling a word. I am not the worst speller but I have a very loose approach to spelling and grammar. Sort of lazy I guess. Hey none of us are perfect and I know I am not close to being so. Heck I learned a bunch today. From political, to political correctness, to not commenting on a Yankee VP that made a stupid comment.

So I do appreciate help or advice on something that actually matters like government and not the spelling of shoddy. Maybe if some of you elders would teach some of the younger generation right from wrong there would be less punkasses in this world.

As far as Dem. or Rep. I never really look at the party but more the issue. If I have no clue who is what I leave it blank. I like to vote on local propositions and stuff closer to home. I fear that myself like many feel whomever they vote for president somehow they will feel let down.

This election I will not be voting for a woman or a African American. But I would vote for Oprah LOL. My vote is for McCain. Right or wrong.
Unread 19 Feb 2008, 05:29 AM
Coach

P5, H2O and Hork I read your posts and thanks a ton. I think after reading all of that I really do have a split personality. I mean I am dead set to vote for McCain but I am voting Democratic on the rest of the way. I think McCain being an Arizona boy, honest, sincere, War Veteran, and I know for a fact loves this Country has me blinded by the kool-aid for lack of a better word. Well I have less than $200 in the bank right now (Thanks kids/Katrina) and grow tired of taxes out the wazzoooo. I mean from property tax to sales tax to income tax is it disgusting. Then you see some billion dollar effort to give freedom to people who don't want change. I mean last time I remember a country that tried to force change and their will on the rest of the world we called them Nazis. Why does the US think they can play big brother to everyone? We are in Iraq when N. Korea is a much greater threat. 9/11 happened because of ignorance. Yet now they can go and spend billions more on "Homeland Security" which I personally think is a joke. Another umbrella to hide money under. I've been to the airport recently and a man who looked black spoke very little English and all I did was show him my ID and said my daughter is getting off a plane and poof I was by "Security" in seconds. I will get off the soapbox but it can be frustrating hearing we are the richest Country in the world yet owe everyone, produce little and import a lot. Our government lets Asian technology infiltrate low costing cars and electronics until American interests cannot compete and end up going out of business. Then after eliminating the competition they raise up pricing and basically take over. Isn't the government suppose to protect us from such things?

Also is it possible to have some sort of dyslexia later in life? Sometimes I don't realize I have mispelled something until I get my nose rubbed in it. I did have a head on collision in a car and split my head open. Just curious if there really is something wrong with my noggin'. Also I tend to ramble on for long periods of time.

Learned a lot from you guys and yet I am more confused than before. Better not ask you guys about sex.....LMFAO I may not like what I hear I am doing wrong there as well. I wear broccoli condoms. Is that wrong.

Unread 19 Feb 2008, 09:13 AM
Antagonist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20guy View Post
Okay, I'm a political science student, let me see if I can put it in Lehman's terms.
I never knew Tom Lehman was a political scholar .
Unread 19 Feb 2008, 09:33 AM
GO STEELERS!

Quote:
I never knew Tom Lehman was a political scholar .

hahaha, yeah. I'm assuming that because he's a righty, he'd be a Democrat?