Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Game Related > Jockstocks Today
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

Unread 18 Jan 2009, 10:02 PM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork
Default Cheap shot

When did leading with the helmet become legal? Especially leading with the helmet to spear a guy in the head?

No way pitt should be awarded a fumble recovery and no way clark should be allowed to wear a uniform at least until mid september. That was cheap, but then it wouldn't really be steeler football any other way.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 18 Jan 2009, 10:03 PM
GM

on a lighter note, the play in question did a remarkable job of showing just how ignorant phil simms really is.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 19 Jan 2009, 12:54 PM
Keep Calm Chive On

Quote:
Originally Posted by hork View Post
on a lighter note, the play in question did a remarkable job of showing just how ignorant phil simms really is.

Main Entry: ig·no·rant
Pronunciation: \ˈig-n(ə-)rənt\
Function: adjective
Date: 14th century
1 a: destitute of knowledge or education <an ignorant society> ; also : lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified <parents ignorant of modern mathematics> b: resulting from or showing lack of knowledge or intelligence <ignorant errors>
"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder." (Albert Einstein)
Unread 19 Jan 2009, 01:38 PM
Got Xbox One?

Quote:
Hey,

I was at the pub so not able to really hear. What did he do now? I never liked him as an announcer anyway.
Unread 19 Jan 2009, 01:39 PM
Got Xbox One?

Quote:
When did leading with the helmet become legal? Especially leading with the helmet to spear a guy in the head?

No way pitt should be awarded a fumble recovery and no way clark should be allowed to wear a uniform at least until mid september. That was cheap, but then it wouldn't really be steeler football any other way.
Hey,

Do they sometimes review plays like this and fine people for this crap?
Unread 19 Jan 2009, 03:19 PM
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDiamond View Post
Hey,

I was at the pub so not able to really hear. What did he do now? I never liked him as an announcer anyway.
talked about how the hit was a legal hit. cleary as da freak points out he displayed his being "destitute of knowledge or education" and also that he is "lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified"

unless i'm the ignorant one and helmet to helmet hits are now legal in the NFL.

Unread 19 Jan 2009, 03:46 PM
Got Xbox One?

Quote:
unless i'm the ignorant one and helmet to helmet hits are now legal in the NFL.
Hey,

I don't think you are and they are supposed to be banned.

Our bar conversation was leaning to a helmet to helmet and illegal hit. Except for those at the table next to us who were all in Steeler garb proclaiming it to be clean an legal and how the guy was a pu$$y for not getting up, after all the Steeler play got up and staggered off the field eventually.

Just one more reason for me to hate the team from Pittsburgh.
Unread 19 Jan 2009, 05:13 PM
GM

i have no real feelings one way or the other for the team but clark should not be allowed to play in the SB and should be suspended at least four games next season for that hit

Unread 19 Jan 2009, 05:24 PM

playing devil's advocate here....

I'm not so sure that clark hadn't already left his feet for the tackle and the runner ducked into him to inflict his own hit. I'd like a link to a replay on that one.
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 19 Jan 2009, 10:35 PM
JS Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich76 View Post
playing devil's advocate here....

I'm not so sure that clark hadn't already left his feet for the tackle and the runner ducked into him to inflict his own hit. I'd like a link to a replay on that one.

Good point Rich...I've just done a survey of 3 others who were in my living room watching the game and they all saw it the way you did.

Besides, the referees saw nothing wrong. What's with all you Steeler's bashers? So they've won more Super Bowls than any other team. Is it jealousy speaking?

"There exists in this country a plot to enslave every man woman and child. Before I leave this high and noble office, I intend to expose this plot."
- President John F. Kennedy - 7 days before he was assassinated

"It is well that the people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning." -- Henry Ford -- Founder of Ford Motor Company

http://rtr.org/signup?ref=3800
Unread 20 Jan 2009, 12:27 AM
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstewball View Post

Besides, the referees saw nothing wrong. What's with all you Steeler's bashers? So they've won more Super Bowls than any other team. Is it jealousy speaking?
nope no jealousy like i said i have no feelings one way or the other about the steelers. i do however take issue with guys who lead with their helmets as clark clearly did. hard to justify the heard down and aimed at the ball carrier (well unless you're phil simms that is). the video and replay leave little doubt all you have to do is look at his head compared to his shoulders and where the ball carrier is the proof is evident.

that said i'm not claiming for one second the steelers as a team should be penalized for one moron. unless you consider a substantial suspension (which is more than merited) penalizing the steelers in which case, i guess i am.

if this were any other week clark would be sat down for no less than four games. the fact that the SB is the next game should have no bearing. not only did he lead with his helmet with obvious intent to injure but he could have no only ended mcgahee's career, but his life. no game (conference championship or otherwise) is worth condoning that.

Unread 20 Jan 2009, 12:48 AM
Jock$tocks Meteorologist

More devils advocate here too:

Man up, it's football. Even if he led with his helmet, so what. This isn't flag football.
Unread 20 Jan 2009, 01:44 AM
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJr View Post
More devils advocate here too:

Man up, it's football. Even if he led with his helmet, so what. This isn't flag football.
yeah tell that to guys like Kevin Everett, Reggie Brown, and Darryl Stingley.

wusses all i'm sure (especially that putz stingley i mean come on be a man dying from a helmet to helmet hit, what a wimp)

Unread 20 Jan 2009, 02:15 AM
Jock$tocks Meteorologist

I feel sorry for them, I really do, but they knew the risks. Just like in hockey, at any time in the game there is the risk that a puck or a skate blade could come in and do some damage. They know that and by stepping out onto the field of play, they are accepting the risk.

Some players have gotten seriously injured in football and it wasn't because of helmet to helmet hits either. Might as well get rid of tackling too.

Oh, and Kevin Everett's hit was not helmet to helmet. Search youtube once and you'll see, helmet to shoulder. Might as well make helmet to shoulder tackles illegal too.
Unread 20 Jan 2009, 07:54 AM
Antagonist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJr View Post
I feel sorry for them, I really do, but they knew the risks. Just like in hockey, at any time in the game there is the risk that a puck or a skate blade could come in and do some damage. They know that and by stepping out onto the field of play, they are accepting the risk.

Some players have gotten seriously injured in football and it wasn't because of helmet to helmet hits either. Might as well get rid of tackling too.

Oh, and Kevin Everett's hit was not helmet to helmet. Search youtube once and you'll see, helmet to shoulder. Might as well make helmet to shoulder tackles illegal too.
Read the rule book. Tackling leading with the helmet on any part of the body is illegal and extremely dangerous.