Pick'em
Messenger
Oasis

Go Back   Jockstocks Forums > Game Related > Jockstocks Today
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Jockstocks Today Currently pertinent Game/Sports related topics

Unread 06 Jul 2009, 07:46 PM

Default Jim Brown/Tiger Woods discussion

Jim Brown (HOF running back) on the last episode of Real Sports (HBO) took some hard swipes at Tiger for not speaking out enough regarding social issues involving black Americans.

I'm curious how people here feel about that?

I have my own opinions, but I'll refrain from mentioning those until some others respond here.

Have at it folks.
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 06 Jul 2009, 11:26 PM
Retired Jock$tocks Vet

Send a message via AIM to ocho cinco Send a message via Yahoo to ocho cinco

IMO Jim Brown took a few to many hits on the head while playing foodball back in the day. He has always been out spoken towards this type of thing and sometimes he just needs to keep his mouth shut for the good.

I have no clue what social issues he was speaking of, but Im sure white folks are having the same issues. We'll never fix the race card till we fix the issues of people single'n out white/black. We are Americans and thats it.

IMO, Tiger probably does enough... He likes to keep his life/feelings/belifes to him self and thats how it should be. If it wants to keep it private then let him keep it private.

Save Bandwidth... think more... type less.

2007, 2008 & 2009 Cincinnati Reds Slogan: "It's obvious we aren't using steroids."

a taxpayer voting for obama is like a chicken voting for KFC

Brought Sexy Back
Unread 06 Jul 2009, 11:59 PM
GM

Send a message via Yahoo to hork

in all honesty i think that it's tiger's choice as to what issues if any are important to him and whether or not he feels the need to express his viewpoints on said issues. sure with his influence in the sports world and his name recognition he could cause some to listen (note i said listen not necessarily agree) but a stand that is forced from someone rather than freely offered typically comes not from conviction but rather reaction and as such often carries a less than significant impact.

in addition to that, it might be the best business move a celebrity can make to steer clear of such topics. i can't tell you how many people on this very board (let alone a nation) have chastised celebrities for having and sharing an opinion. many have gone on to blast them and label them as hacks or pretentious for doing nothing more than we do regularly (i.e., share our opinions). i've even seen people on these forums make statements about how they wouldn't watch a movie with specific stars in it based solely on their disagreeing with the star's viewpoints and nothing to do with the work (i'll exclude folks like rush, orielly, moore, etc who make their living by intentionally politicizing issues and pandering to one group by vilifying the other). when your success relies on public appeal it seems good business sense to steer clear from topics you know are guaranteed to alienate a large portion of your fan base regardless of the stance you take.

but that's just one guy's opinion, take it for what you will.

Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term, but it is suicidal for nations in the long term. One of the criteria for national leadership should therefore be a talent for understanding, encouraging, and making constructive use of vigorous criticism. - Carl Sagan
Unread 07 Jul 2009, 06:37 AM

Jim Brown was a great running back, a horrible actor, and not so nice a human being (wifebeater). For him to pull his Al Sharpton impression...and with Tiger Woods no less, is laughable. You'd be hard pressed to show me an athlete that gives more of his time and money to help ALL people (primarily children) than Tiger. Does anyone know that his $1,080,000 did NOT get deposited into his personal account? It was handed over to the Veteran's Organization that addresses the wounded returning veterans. He has donated previous million plus checks to the Tiger Woods Foundation, which embraces kids of ALL nationalities between the ages of 7-17. He has flown to New Zealand to help raise money for his caddie's charities. He is taking a side trip to Turning Point resort in Aug to help raise money for Native Americans......and it goes on and on

Nick thinks he does enough....I say that he goes above and beyond...significantly....

I guess because he does not only embrace black issues (which, btw, he is also 50% Thai Mr Brown...get it?) that is not good enough for a thug like Brown.

Tiger...you are a role model for ALL children.....keep up your fantastic work.
My mom didn't raise no dummy, if she did it would be my sister
I told my wife to embrace her faults......she hugged me
I took a DNA test- God is my father
When I ask if you want me to be honest, please say no
Unread 07 Jul 2009, 08:27 AM
GM

Something just tells me after Tiger's golf career is over he will do other things as he sees fit.

Jim Brown helps to try to end gang violence. Mr. Brown also helps people to better themselves in inner cities and even prisons. It appears to me that Tiger goes out of his way to help people in many different ways as well and I am sure that we don't even know the half or even a quarter what Tiger does to help others.

But there is the issue of sponsors in golf as well that can not be denied. Almost all parts of a golfers equipment except for clubs has some sort of logo that reminds a person watching golf of this company. I mean even Tiger's ball has a Nike swoosh on it. Then when Phil wears a hat it has the name of a company on it as well. I am sure this is part of the reason Tiger does not speak out more about issues that effect many people each and every day. Sponsors can just leave someone just for the slightest thing that may or may not be perceived as controversial. I think that is part of the reason Tiger does not speak more about social issues when others think he should be doing more.

On Sat. October 8, 2005 at 8:15 CDT Sidney scores his first goal on the power play with 1:28 left in the second period!

On Friday June 12, 2009 at 9:46 CDT the Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby hoists the Stanley Cup for the first time!

If at first you don't succeed try try again. In other words keep trying P!

Super Special Sensational Sweetheart.
Unread 07 Jul 2009, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to StockTrader Send a message via Yahoo to StockTrader

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich76 View Post
Jim Brown (HOF running back) on the last episode of Real Sports (HBO) took some hard swipes at Tiger for not speaking out enough regarding social issues involving black Americans.

I'm curious how people here feel about that?

I have my own opinions, but I'll refrain from mentioning those until some others respond here.

Have at it folks.
It truly is sad that we do not hear about the good things celebrities do. Instead, we hear the real news, like who they voted for in 2008, and whom they are dating ...

to you, Mr. Woods.

Nick